photo by kind courtesy of @atuktekt (*click the photo for details)

2013/07/30

Greens' YOHEI MIYAKE makes a legendary "charanke in action" in Tokyo during the 2013 Japan Upper House Elections




Greens Japan Candidate and artist YOHEI MIYAKE makes his second appearance in Shinjuku, Tokyo, 5 July 2013 on the second day of Japan's 2013 Upper House Elections. (video under construction with English subtitles)


More videos of YOHEI and his friend TARO YAMAMOTO now available!



Situation: At around 06:03, an old man suddenly comes towards Mr. Miyake while he's singing, swinging around his umbrella and yelling at him.  Miyake's staff try to console him but Miyake notices the old man and starts talking to him. This was the beginning of Miyake's legendary charanke in action at West Shinjuku on July 5, 2013. (Titles omitted)

Note: What is "charanke"? Charanke is the Ainus traditional method of verbal war between tribes to talk things out. They bring about their own problems and positions like, We are facing this problem, or We would like to do this, and talk through. Eventually, they give in to each other and reach a forward-looking compromise and a positive, constructive solution. Miyake, who's a candidate for the Upper House election, respects this method. "Spread charanke all over Japan!"Via tweet from @midzi_midiz

MIYAKE:
"Did I wake you up? Im sorry. But, I got the permission from the state. I'm allowed to do live performance here, today."

(The man says something but is inaudible because the music is still playing.)

MIYAKE:
"Sorry, ol' ma"n. Im sorry to wake you up."

(Again, the old man says something but is still inaudible in the video.)

MIYAKE:
You werent sleepin?   ...What?

(Miyake starts to tone down his music and then stops playing his guitar completely)

MIYAKE:
Here, take the microphone. Come up here, li'l ol' man. If you got something to say, say it on this stage. Got it? You could hurt people with your umbrella. Its not something that you hit people with, you know?

(Still cant hear the old mans words)

MIYAKE:
Use the microphone, ol' man. ...What?

(Finally, the old man takes the mike)

LI'L OL' MAN:
What you mean by Ainu?
MIYAKE:
Say that again?
LI'L OL' MAN:
Why did youuse it like that?
MIYAKE:
"Well, I do have the right.   You see that candidate sign? Im allowed to do a street performance anywhere in this country until the 20th.

(At this point Miyake appears to not understand the word "Ainu".)

LI'L OL' MAN:
You were saying 'Ainu", you bastard!
MIYAKE:
"What?"
LI'L OL' MAN:
Im an Ainu!
MIYAKE:
You're an Ainu!? Great, lets do charanke together! I came from Okinawa.

(The ol' man suddenly speaks in a smaller voice)

LI'L OL' MAN:
"Oh....well, Im from Hokkaido"
MIYAKE:
"Hokkaido."
LI'L OL' MAN:
When they first see me, people often ask me if Im from Okinawa.
MIYAKE:
"Ha-ha, right.  They are both hairy. An' they both drifted on a raft from Okinawa to Hokkaido, so they are originally from the same tribe. Aren't they?"

(The man becomes silent for a while)

MIYAKE:
You know, from Ainu... there is an Ainu candidate from Greens Japan.  Ms. Shimazaki.
LI'L OL' MAN:
So what?
MIYAKE:
Would you support her? Its really hard to do a campaign, ya know? I was once jeering like you before. A lot.
LI'L OL' MAN:
Im not jeering, you bastard!"
MIYAKE:
"I know its rude to say something like this, but even a monkey can hoot, li'l ol' man!"
LI'L OL' MAN:
Are you calling me a monkey, you bastard?
MIYAKE:
Well, we are all apes, but you know what I mean right? Please understand it man, and not just bite into my tails..."
LI'L OL' MAN:
Im a human!
MIYAKE:
"You what? Right?"
LI'L OL' MAN:
A human!
MIYAKE:
That's right! A HUMAN BEING! A human! I'm also a human! Because the state forgot about people, WE have to go to the Diet! Lets go to the Diet together, right, man?

(The old man becomes silent again)

MIYAKE:
A human, yes! So Im fed up with so many things. Im just a man, so I make mistakes, and cant be so clean and stylish all the time.  But I think that is us, as a human being. I think this society should be more human-like; it should have more rooms to be human. We cant all be perfect. So we share the same feeling!
LI'L OL' MAN:
I dont care about style!"
MIYAKE:
Right!  I dont care about style, and that's why I'm wearing shorts, you ol' fool!*
*I think Miyake was saying this. Im not really sure, but its an important point.

(Laughter)

LI'L OL' MAN:
“…Style? (kakkou) a cuckoo will sing?
MIYAKE:
"We're in a slump? (kanko-dori)? Hmm?"

(The Old man shows a smile for the first time)

MIYAKE:
Wow, you finally smiled! Finally, smiled!"

(Big applause)

LI'L OL' MAN:
So, you are from where?
MIYAKE:
I was born in Belgium, raised in Yamanashi, Yamagata, and Tokyo, and now in Okinawa. My roots' in Okayama
LI'L OL' MAN:
"How complicated!"

(Laughter)

MIYAKE:
"Thats so true! Im just an 'earthling'.   It really doesnt matter where you're from.  I just wanna save this planet! I wanna purify the air in Shinjuku! I wanna dig up drinkable water! Even in this city. I want to talk about these things in the Diet! So, we have the same mind, same feeling, dont we?
LI'L OL' MAN:
"Hmm..."
MIYAKE:
Well, we were a bit, so you might find something you dont like about us. But no one can be perfect?"
LI'L OL' MAN:
"Well, no..."
MIYAKE:
I cant do any other way but this way; my way.
LI'L OL' MAN:
Do you know why I came to you? Coz you said 'Ainu.' Coz Im Ainu

(Miyake smiles wryly)

MIYAKE:
I didnt say 'Ainu' so maybe the word 'charanke' made you…”

(The old man gets upset again)

LI'L OL' MAN:
I AM AINU!
MIYAKE:
I know, I know! So, I'm saying I didnt say 'Ainu'…”
LI'L OL' MAN:
You discriminatin' us, you bastard?

(The crowd cries out randomly Not discriminating!  We are the same!  You are taking it the wrong way!)

MIYAKE:
See, you're taking it the wrong way.
LI'L OL' MAN:
You're doing it in your own style you bastard...
MIYAKE:
"What? Ol' man, you misunderstand me. I give the greatest respect to the people of Ainu and also Okinawa.  I feel like I have some of their blood in me, like Jyomon blood. Like people who lived for their hearts and feelings, not for the economy, civilization, or rationality. So I want to do something for the people who are having hard time in this society..."
LI'L OL' MAN:
"You say 'Jyomon people' but we are all same human being!

(Big applause from the crowd, and Miyake, excitingly says...)

MIYAKE:
You are so damn right!
LI'L OL' MAN:
I dont give a damn about being Jyomon or some shit like that!
MIYAKE:
"I totally agree with you! So why you keep saying the same thing from 'the other side'?"

(Laughter)

LI'L OL' MAN:
"We're all same humans!"

MIYAKE:
Oh, so you wanted to do the speech! Ha-ha, well, then you should become a candidate, too.  Ill support you!
LI'L OL' MAN:
Coz you said the word 'Ainu'…”
MIYAKE:
Im not YOU, Im 'YOHEI'.
LI'L OL' MAN:
"Who gives a damn...?”
MIYAKE:
I do! Im doing my campaign now! My name is VERY important! Its not YOU! What will you do if people start voting YOU?
LI'L OL' MAN:
"Well, then... 'YOHEI'."

(Big applause)

MIYAKE:
"Yup, thanks!
LI'L OL' MAN:
"I'm gonna get going then... then Im gonna vote for you
MIYAKE:
Allrighhhhht!!!

(Loud cheers from the crowd)

LI'L OL' MAN:
"But...but I can't. I don't live in Tokyo..."
MIYAKE:
"Well, I'm running for the nationwide proportional representation district. So you can vote for me from anywhere in this country. For nationwide proportional representation district, you can write the individual's name. If you write 'Miyake Yohei' it will give both the party and me a vote. So please vote for me!"

(Applause)

MIYAKE:
"I just got one vote now!"


(Miyake starts resuming his music among a cheering crowd)


Produced by The Nomadic Transcription Unit
Translated by Gaku
Edited by Taka

0 件のコメント: